Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions with your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
In 1969, researchers Bibb Latane and John Darley conducted a series of experiments to determine how and when individuals decide to act upon witnessing a person in need of assistance. In these experiments, the researchers would stage an emergency situation and then measure how long it took participants to respond. Interestingly, the researchers discovered that participants were less likely to respond when they were with a group of people (Latane & Darley, 1969). By 1970, these same researchers suggested that bystanders might not respond for the following reasons (Latane & Darley, 1970):
- Diffusion of responsibility: A bystander assumes that someone else will offer assistance
- A bystander might look to see if others are helping first. If the situation seems ambiguous and no one else is helping, then the bystander is likely to think that there is no reason for concern.
- Bystanders might be concerned about making the wrong decision and being embarrassed or shamed as a result.
Watch the following video about bystander apathy, and discuss the following prompts:
- Describe your initial reaction to the video.
- What surprised you the most?
- What was not surprising to you?
- Are there certain factors that you believe would make an individual more or less likely to respond to a situation like this?
- Research by Latane and Darley as mentioned above suggests that bystanders are more likely to help once someone has already intervened. Why do you think this might be?
- Research by Milgram (1970) has also shown that a person is more likely to receive assistance from a bystander if the event takes place in a rural area in comparison to an urban environment. Why do you think this is the case?
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post Discussion Board unit 3 psychology appeared first on Top Premier Essays.