Week 1 Forum 124 unread of 127 messages
Forum Topic Week 1: Food and Culture
Answer one of the following questions:
1. What are “foodscapes?” Address the concept of invisible foodscapes in the U.S., providing specific examples. Why is that particular food considered to be invisible, and does this differ cross-culturally?
2. Discuss the concept of “good to eat”. Have you ever thought about why you do or do not eat something? Is your choice beyond the issue of taste? Can you think about some foods that we avoid in the USA and what practical reason that may serve?
• Compare and contrast a wide diversity of foodways, cross-culturally.
• Examine various theories used to explain different cross-cultural food customs
• Differentiate the meaning various foods play in the cultural traditions and beliefs of peoples world-wide
Instructions for all Forums:
Each week, learners will post one initial post per week. This post must demonstrate comprehension of the course materials, the ability to apply that knowledge in the real world. Learners will engage with the instructor and peers throughout the learning week. To motivate engaged discussion, posts are expected to be on time with regular interaction throughout the week. All posts should demonstrate college level writing skills. To promote vibrant discussion as we would in a face to face classroom, formatted citations and references are not required. Quotes should not be used at all, or used sparingly. If you quote a source quotation marks should be used and an APA formatted citation and reference provided